Re: [Discuss-gnuradio] boost-1.37.0 dependency in 3.2.2 debian packages

From: Alexander Chemeris
Subject: Re: [Discuss-gnuradio] boost-1.37.0 dependency in 3.2.2 debian packages
Date: Tue, 26 Jan 2010 15:39:36 +0300

Hi Johnathan,

On Mon, Jan 25, 2010 at 19:57, Johnathan Corgan
<address@hidden> wrote:
> On Sat, Jan 23, 2010 at 06:03, Alexander Chemeris
> <address@hidden> wrote:
>
>> 1) What is the reason you don't follow usual Debian/Ubuntu layout
>> where you use distribution versions under dists/ instead of
>> package versions? Then it's possible to build for multiple distributions.
>
> It was mostly expedient at the time deb files were originally created.
>  The original plan was for something temporary until we could get the
> packages into Debian and/or Ubuntu official repositories.  While it
> took longer than expected, 3.2.2 is in Debian unstable ("sid") and
> will soon get promoted to Debian testing ("squeeze").  Bdale Garbee is
> the official package maintainer and he and I have been working
> together to get things done.  Hopefully Ubuntu will pick up 3.2.2 in
> 10.04 to replace the ancient 3.0.2 they have or had in their repo.

That's great news! Version on GnuRadio in Ubuntu/Debian was
a huge pain.

Speaking for the whole OpenBTS community - is it possible to release
3.2.3 with my patches, enabling runtime FPGA clock frequency setting?
They're accepted into mainline, but it will take too long to get into next
stable GnuRadio release and then to distros... Alternatively, they can
be applied as deb-patches to 3.2.2-1. This will be really, really helpful,
as many in OpenBTS mailing list complain about long time to build
GnuRadio and get all its dependencies right. And without those patches
prebuilt GnuRadio is useless for OpenBTS users.

> There still remains the hosting for the packages generated from our
> current development.  I plan (someday, grrr) to start using a more
> automated system of uploading the packages to gnuradio.org, and then I
> can shift to a more typical repository layout.  Also, there are subtle
> differences between debs for Debian vs. Ubuntu, and we haven't planned
> how to accommodate both in a single build infrastructure.
>
>> 2) Also, why don't you use Launchpad for hosting? It will build
>> automatically for multiple distro versions.
>
> I've never really considered this; I'll look into it.

You just need to change distro line in Changelog to trigger build for
different Ubuntu versions. That's very easy to implement and you will
get automated build for all supported Ubuntu versions on all (three)
supported platforms.

--
Regards,
Alexander Chemeris.