Re: [Discuss-gnuradio] Viewing timestamps using USRP2

From: Doug Geiger
Subject: Re: [Discuss-gnuradio] Viewing timestamps using USRP2
Date: Wed, 03 Feb 2010 09:38:41 -0500

MarcW wrote:
Thanks for your help Doug. I thought I knew which bits to monitor which
contained the timestamp but now im not sure! The packets received seem very
large. I have included a screenprint of one below. Please could you tell me
which bits are the timestamp in this packet?
The data appears to start from line 0020 but every other 32 bits are either
ff or 00.
Do we add the sync_every_pps() to txrc.c immediately before the while loop?

Which version of gnuradio are you running? If you're using the usrp2-vrt git branch, the frame format has changed dramatically. If you're using the released code (or the master branch from git) the frame structure is (IIRC) defined in usrp2/firmware/include/usrp2_eth_packet.h. There's the standard ethernet header (dst, src, ethertype), a short 'transport' header (some flags, sequence number, etc.), and the 'fixed' header which has some more flags, and the 32-bit timestamp. The VRT format has a much longer header, and includes a seconds count and a fractional seconds count. You don't need to call sync_every_pps() in the firmware (do you really want to reset the clock every PPS?). The host can send the command to sync_*_pps() when setting up the connection to the USRP2. For example, in rx_streaming_samples, call u2->sync_to_pps() (or sync_every_pps() if you really want that) before calling u2->start_rx_streaming. Then you can have the copy handler print out the timestamp from each frame received by the USRP2. In the VRT branch I believe there is already an example application that prints out the timestamp from received frames.
Doug

--
Douglas Geiger
Code 5545