Re: [Discuss-gnuradio] MAC layer development and USRP2

From: Charles Irick
Subject: Re: [Discuss-gnuradio] MAC layer development and USRP2
Date: Tue, 6 Apr 2010 16:13:17 -0400

> I would tend to blame Linux and buffering more than GbE itself (MAC + PHY).
> Here is an interesting doc where the
> researchers were asking similar questions:
>
>  http://www.hep.man.ac.uk/u/rich/atlas/docs/atlas_net_note_draft5.pdf
>
> I'm not sure yet how much buffering is done in the USRP2 firmware but we hope
> to know shortly as a couple of our guys
> are in the process of taking apart the logic, pulling out non-GbE related
> sections, and rebuilding.
>
> -Jeff

I glanced over the document briefly and was wondering if your analysis
of the linux issue was because of this document, or a separate source.
I'm only asking because the document is 10 years old and is using
RedHat 5 and Pentium 2s. I would assume the linux kernel support for
GigE has improved since then.

Charles