Re: [Discuss-gnuradio] XML Editing Tools

From: Firas Abbas
Subject: Re: [Discuss-gnuradio] XML Editing Tools
Date: Tue, 13 Apr 2010 21:24:28 -0700 (PDT)

Thank you Josh and Eric for the Responses

> From: Josh Blum <address@hidden>

> I am afraid that the files look hand-written. You can misuse doxygen to make
> manuals by feeding it hand written xml. At least I think thats the case.

Whats  I'm looking for is a new approach to generate both html and PDF
documentation from the same source.
I saw that writing an XML document
is the best way since converting from xml to html and pdf is trivial.

Example:

1) To convert usrp_guide.xml  to html  file:

     $ xmlto
html-nochunks usrp_guide.xml

2) To convert the same file  to PDF file:

$ xmlto  --with-fop  pdf
usrp_guide.xml

Of course , we need the following dependencies:

- xmlto
- xmltex
- fop

>I am interested to have a wiki-based markup, where the wiki
> code could be rendered into doxygen xml by a small python script (or just
> strait to html, it doesnt need to integrate with doxygen).

> Its easier  to write wiki code than xml, and its easier to maintain
> documentation code  checked into the git repo (and keep it version specific).

> What do you  think about a wiki-based solution to extending gnuradio
> documentation?
>
> Josh

It is a good idea. If you decided to write such code, please keep in
mined to use redmine wiki markup.

P.S: I want to warn you that I failed to
convert doxygen xml files to PDF files. They seems not to be a standard
docbook xml files.

Best Regards,

Firas