Re: [Discuss-gnuradio] DQPSK Modulation/Demodulation issue

From: marcin_w
Subject: Re: [Discuss-gnuradio] DQPSK Modulation/Demodulation issue
Date: Thu, 29 Apr 2010 06:45:23 -0700 (PDT)

Jason Uher wrote:

> The code has no glaring errors that I can see, but if you suspect that
> it's the channel, what happens if you simply remove it? or replace it
> with a simulated one?

Yes, the graph works perfectly when i remove the channel/usrp.

i.e.

   TX
   Vector Source [180] > Packed To Unpacked > Mapper [Binary 2 Gray] >
Differential Encoder >
   Chunks to Symbols

   RX
   Differential Phasor > Constellation Decoder > Mapper [Gray 2 Binary] >
Unpacked To Packed > Vector Sink

No problems here, my output is always 108.

Getting back to the USRP model, i can't seen to work out whether my
bitrates/sample rates are correct.
For instance, the interpolation of my USRP sink is set to 500, meaning it
should be accepting samples at a rate of of 256ks/s.

I've had a look at pick_bitrate.py in the examples, but here are a few more
questions:

1) Do my sample rates  / interpolation / decimation look correct, according
to:
http://users.tpg.com.au/marcinw//qpskTest.py

2) Do i need to use the throttle block in my graph to control the bit rates?
, or does simply setting the interpolation on the usrp automatically control
this?

3) Would setting the interpolation of the usrp to 500, automatically set the
bit rate to 128kb/s if my graph looks like this:

Vector Source [180] > Packed To Unpacked > Mapper [Binary 2 Gray] >
Differential Encoder >
Chunks to Symbols > Interpolating FIR Filter (RRC) [samples/symbol = 2 ,
interpolation = 2 ] > USRP sink [ interp: 500]

4) Why do we even bother using an interpolating filter in the modulator
block. Why not just a RRC filter?

5) For the demodulator block, why is the decimation level on the decimating
FIR filter set to 1 and not to 2.

Regards,

Marcin