Re: [Discuss-gnuradio] Re: UHD: uhd_find_devices

From: Marcus D. Leech
Subject: Re: [Discuss-gnuradio] Re: UHD: uhd_find_devices
Date: Fri, 30 Apr 2010 11:17:45 -0400

On 04/30/2010 11:07 AM, Josh Blum wrote:

> I know you got me off-list, but I would like to share the answer
> because people tend to google these things and get list postings:
>
> The solution was to set a static IP address on the network interface.
> Its not like the raw ethernet communication where sometimes you needed
> a static ip to make a particular interface work. You always need the
> static IP address to send and receive the UDP packets.
>
> Also, you should not need the sudo. uhd_find_devices works fine as
> normal user.
>
> And a little trivia for today: The "F" LED on the USRP2 is actually
> light (faintly).
>
> -Josh

How does the USRP2 get its IP address, how do you deal with multiple
USRP2 on the same
  host?  With IP routing, you'll generally need to have each USRP2/Host
combination have its
  own (probably very small) subnet, but you *do* have to get the routing
correct!

When you throw an IP packet "into the stack", the IP routing machinery
in the stack figures out
  which interface to send the packet on, based on the subnet mask
assigned to an interface.
  So you need to make sure that your USRP2 has a distinct subnet
assigned, so that it
  can be routed to appropriately.

--
Principal Investigator