Re: [Discuss-gnuradio] Building gnuradio on cygwin - wxPython issue

From: Don Ward
Subject: Re: [Discuss-gnuradio] Building gnuradio on cygwin - wxPython issue
Date: Tue, 6 Jul 2010 10:05:38 -0400

Jan Schiefer wrote:

I should know better, but I am nonetheless trying to build gnuradio on
Windows XP/cygwin.  I did follow the instructions on the wiki (including
picking the exact versions), but I am getting stuck on building wxPython.
. . .
While I try to keep GNU Radio running under Cygwin, every update to a Cygwin package or third-party library (such as wxPython) carries a significant risk of breakage. For "production" use of GNU Radio on Windows, I prefer to use MinGW and MSYS. The initial setup takes a little longer, but once you have a working system there is seldom a need to update anything but GNU Radio.
. . .
Thanks Don, this is good advice, I have been hit by cygwin update-related breakages for other applications as well. I will try the MinGW/MSYS route instead and report back.

I have attached a python script I used to install GNU Radio on MinGW/MSYS. It has only basic error checking and no documentation, but you may find it helpful. If nothing else, it lists the version numbers and file locations of all the pieces. To use it, read the start of the script and edit the install options and location as needed. Let me know if you find it useful.

-- Don W.