Re: [Discuss-gnuradio] Building gnuradio on cygwin - wxPython issue

From: Don Ward
Subject: Re: [Discuss-gnuradio] Building gnuradio on cygwin - wxPython issue
Date: Tue, 6 Jul 2010 10:26:44 -0400

Jan Schiefer wrote:

I should know better, but I am nonetheless trying to build gnuradio on
Windows XP/cygwin. I did follow the instructions on the wiki (including
picking the exact versions), but I am getting stuck on building wxPython.
When I try to do the
python setup.py install WXPORT=msw COMPILER=cygwin BUILD_GLCANVAS=0
BUILD_GIZMOS=0 UNICODE=0
step, I get the following error:

function
Traceback (most recent call last):
  File "setup.py", line 1034, in <module>
    **other_kw
  File "/usr/lib/python2.6/distutils/core.py", line 152, in setup
    dist.run_commands()
  File "/usr/lib/python2.6/distutils/dist.py", line 975, in run_commands
    self.run_command(cmd)
. . .
File "/usr/lib/python2.6/distutils/cygwinccompiler.py", line 189, in link
    libraries.extend(self.dll_libraries)
TypeError: 'NoneType' object is not iterable

The offending line 189 is a rather nondescript
libraries.extend(self.dll_libraries)

Has anybody who is more pythonic than me seen this before? My cygwin
version is current as of last Wednesday, and the python version is 2.6.5
(no other python installations on the machine).

The problem is a Cygwin-specific error in the Python release. A patch (for /usr/lib/python2.6/distutils/cygwinccompiler.py) is attached.

I haven't done a complete install with the latest Cygwin, but I have found several things to watch out for:

(1) As noted in the wiki, GNU Radio does not work with gcc4 (4.3.4); use gcc (3.4.4) instead.

(2) The latest cppunit (1.12.1-1) only works with gcc4; use 1.12.0-1 instead.

(3) Do not try to use the Cygwin libboost* packages; they not only require gcc4, but will install gcc4 and make it the default. Build boost from source as described in the wiki.

In general, it appears that Cygwin is moving away from supporting gcc 3.x. I will follow up on the issue that is preventing GNU Radio from working with gcc4 (on Cygwin) and hope it can be resolved before support for gcc 3.x (on Cygwin) is removed.

-- Don W.