Re: [Discuss-gnuradio] Make db_base::_refclk_divisor pure virtual?

From: Jason Abele
Subject: Re: [Discuss-gnuradio] Make db_base::_refclk_divisor pure virtual?
Date: Sat, 10 Jul 2010 22:38:07 -0700

On Fri, Jul 9, 2010 at 12:05 PM, Catalin Patulea
<address@hidden> wrote:
> This question is addressed mostly to Jason Abele since I see he's been
> working on this code recently.

Catalin,

Unfortunately, I am not a good person to ask about this, my name
appears on that line solely because I fixed a typo in the error
message that had made tracking down a problem in my code more
difficult.

> db_base::_refclk_divisor currently throws a runtime_error when it is
> called in the base class (not overridden by the daughterboard class).
> How do you feel about making this method a pure virtual method? This
> is the usual C++ idiom for specifying that a method must be overridden
> by the subclass, and is enforced at compile time. I've attached a
> patch but I wanted to run it by you in case there was another reason
> this was done using runtime_error.

I would guess that either Eric or Johnathan have more insight into the
design decisions on the USRP daughterboard api than I can offer.

Jason