Re: [Discuss-gnuradio] USRP2 + WBX: Unable to receive FM signals

From: Elvis Dowson
Subject: Re: [Discuss-gnuradio] USRP2 + WBX: Unable to receive FM signals
Date: Fri, 16 Jul 2010 09:00:10 +0400

Hi Bryan,

On Jul 16, 2010, at 1:27 AM, Bryan Edelman wrote:

> Hardcode audio_rate to 48000, set audio_decimate = 6, usrp_decim = 312,
> chanfilt_decim = 1.

Hard-coding these values worked! There was still a lot of static, but the music
sounded fine and was playing back at the correct frequency/sample rate. There
were no audio under-runs.

> Ensure that the fm station is physically nearby so you have a nice strong
> signal. I get SSSSSSSS (seq num error) in the terminal but it sounds fine.

The FM station is a public FM station, so perhaps signal strength is an issue.
I'm using a 75cm long wire antenna connected to the RX port on the WBX module.

Is there some way to improve signal reception, to that of let's say car audio
FM systems, using the USRP2 + WBX combination?

There's a signal attenuator and low-noise amp for the WBX RF front-end module,
shouldn't that be sufficient to get clear broadcast FM radio?

Elvis Dowson