Re: [Discuss-gnuradio] OFDM tunnel.py HELP REQUIRED

From: Tuan Ta
Subject: Re: [Discuss-gnuradio] OFDM tunnel.py HELP REQUIRED
Date: Thu, 5 Aug 2010 15:42:33 -0400

To follow up with Chuck's question, I'm also having problem running tunnel using OFDM. The individual transmissions between the 2 USRPs were fine (albeit that I had to manually adjust the center frequency of 1 USRP (A) to cope with the frequency offset). I had B operating at 2412MHz and A at 2411.96MHz. The 40kHz offset was figured out by running usrp_fft on A while B is transmitting at 2412MHz.

My reasoning for the need of manually adjust A's center frequency is that the synchronization block implemented right now can't track the offset that large. The current synchronization algorithm is due to Schmidt and Cox. I had gone through their paper but didn't find any limit to when the algorithm starts to break.

I did some calculation to find the relationship of the offset to the subcarrier spacing. The DAC runs at 128MSps, I have interpolation = 128 (lowering this gives me overrun, I have a duo-core 1.66GHz laptop with 2.5GB of RAM). So my bandwidth is 128/128 = 1MHz.
If the FFT length is 512 then the subcarrier spacing is 1000/512 = 1.95kHz. 40kHz offset would be
20.48 subcarrier spacing.
If the FFT length is 32 then the subcarrier spacing is 1000/32 = 31.25kHz. 40kHz offset would be
1.28 subcarrier spacing.

I don't know the significances of those numbers yet. Hopefully someone with better knowledge of OFDM synchronization can shred some lights.

So USRP A can send to B, and B can send to A. But tunnel wouldn't work. This really puzzles me. The BIG QUESTION that I want to know is that whether anyone has had tunnel to work with OFDM. So that I can zero out the possibility of software bugs in tunnel.py.

Thank you very much,

Tuan