Re: [Discuss-gnuradio] Helper script to automatically add blocks

From: Moritz Fischer
Subject: Re: [Discuss-gnuradio] Helper script to automatically add blocks
Date: Tue, 17 Aug 2010 21:57:04 +0200

On Tue, Aug 17, 2010 at 11:56:20AM -0700, George Nychis wrote:

> I have some tools I could add to it myself.  I think "devtools" was the
> right thing to do.  Hopefully several people will contribute other tools to
> it.  I will move it to the top of the Projects page.

Another interesting thing in this context could be what toolset/ setup
people are using for their 'daily' GNU Radio development.

Although I know there's a lot of people out there (like me) quite happy with
their setup of vim + gdb + {insertyourtoolhere} grown over the years it might
be interesting to have a plugin for eclipse or something of this kind. (read:
less scary for beginners). Some time back I experimented around with writing a
plugin for eclipse, since at our institute a lot of people getting into
contact with GNU Radio for the first time are quite intimidated by the rather
let's say ... not overly comfortable autotools.

Please don't start throwing rocks already ;-)

Beeing not a real java programmer and running out of time for exams I haven't
achieved a lot yet but nevertheless to me it seemed like a good place to try
since eclipse's wizard structure does conform quite well with the usual
everyday programming tasks for out of tree modules / applications.
Maybe a frontend to Martin's script might be another approach worth trying.

So maybe if we add information on work in progress / unfinished projects and
ideas for future devtools to the wikipage we might find people with common
interests.

So far,

Moritz