Re: [Discuss-gnuradio] OFDM modulator and pilots

From: Tom Rondeau
Subject: Re: [Discuss-gnuradio] OFDM modulator and pilots
Date: Fri, 27 Aug 2010 15:19:48 -0400

On Fri, Aug 27, 2010 at 12:19 PM, Srinivas <address@hidden> wrote:
> Tom
>
> After reading gr_ofdm_insert_preamble.cc it looks like the pilots are sent
> periodically after every few payload symbols on all frequency bins. Is it
> like what I have shown attached ? If yes, then how may payload symbols are
> sent between two pilots ?
> Another related question is: Who sets the parameters for the work function
> in this block ? particularly noutput_samples.
> Srinivas
> WINLAB, Rutgers University, NJ

No, that's a slight mistake in terminology. What you are pointing out
are the "preamble" symbols that are used to set the initial
synchronization (phase, timing, and frequency).  I thought you were
asking about "pilots," which are specific subcarriers sent along in a
payload symbol that contain known data and are used for channel
estimation (equalizer settings) throughout a packet transmission. In
other words, the sync preambles are used to get the initial channel
estimation and pilots can be used to track channels that change
between preambles.

If you were talking about preambles, you should be able to use
insert_preambles, which takes a list of symbols so you can use as many
as you'd like. If you want to use pilots, you have to work with the
gr_ofdm_mapper_bcv and gr_ofdm_frame_acquisition to make use of the
subcarrier map.

Hope that clears it up.

Tom