Re: [Discuss-gnuradio] use of a "bulletin board" system in lieu of a mai

From: Douglas Geiger
Date: Fri, 3 Sep 2010 09:26:54 -0400

On Thu, Sep 2, 2010 at 2:14 PM, Matt Ettus <address@hidden> wrote:
> On 09/02/2010 10:47 AM, Dan Harasty wrote:
>>
>>  Hello, all.
>>
>> OK, I know I'm just the "new guy" here, and it may be poor form to
>> suggest that a well established forum should change its ways....
>>
>> But I find the email-based discussion list VERY inefficient.
>
> A lot of people on here seem to use Nabble which provides the bulletin board
> interface.  The mailing list already has search and archive features, as do
> Nabble and Google.
>
> On a more philosophical note, I think a mailing list better encourages
> participation and community.  For example, if everyone only looked at the
> forum when they had a question that they were hoping to have answered, then
> there would never be anybody there to answer them.
>

> Matt

I generally agree with Matt's comments, but I'll add two things:
 1.) The Wiki is there to be a more permanent repository of knowledge
(i.e. something that's easy to reference vs. the 'conversational'
style of the mailing list)

 2.) I do see the value of some of the more recent Q&A type websites.
In particular I'll point to stackoverflow (and the related
stackexchange set of websites) as an excellent repository of knowledge
that excels at building a community. Although, while there are a few
questions tagged [gnuradio] on stackoverflow, I don't think it has
caught on as a place to ask DSP/comms/gnuradio related programming
questions.

In any event, I personally still see lots of value in participating
the mailing list, but figured I'd throw out the fact that there are
already some other options to look for information.
 Doug

--
Doug Geiger
address@hidden