Re: [Discuss-gnuradio] USRP, GNURADIO, WINDOWS, APPLICATION HELP

From: Josh Blum
Subject: Re: [Discuss-gnuradio] USRP, GNURADIO, WINDOWS, APPLICATION HELP
Date: Sat, 04 Sep 2010 12:26:39 -0400

    thank you very much for your answer. I don't really like Linux because it
has
many problems. As I'm writing you this message I'm installing Ubuntu on a
VirtualPC, everything was OK, but when files were copied to the Virtual drive it
gave me a BIG error, some I/O error while copying, so this is what I'm talking
about, many problems and is very slow compared to Windows.

Flamewar much?

Of course its slower, its a virtual machine; and of course it crashed, you were running it on windows! BTW I have a virtual windows running on ubuntu to test UHD compilation. Its slow compared to its host system, but not many problems in the crashing department. Virtualbox FYI

Lb4lb, I have found windows to be frustrating as a development environment, and more sluggish with the IO. However, both platforms crash in their own ways and lack support in their own ways.

If you just want to get some samples in and out of a USRP2 without using gnuradio as a DSP library then you can use the UHD which builds native on windows: http://ettus-apps.sourcerepo.com/redmine/ettus/projects/uhd/wiki

It has USRP1 support, but I have not tested libusb1.0 under windows. So, that being uncharted territory at the moment...

-Josh