Re: [Discuss-gnuradio] USRP2 UHD Matlab Receiver Communications Blockset

From: Josh Blum
Subject: Re: [Discuss-gnuradio] USRP2 UHD Matlab Receiver Communications Blockset
Date: Thu, 09 Sep 2010 21:55:15 -0700

On 09/09/2010 06:43 PM, Vincent W wrote:
Hi,

I stumbled on this blockset on the Matlab website:

http://www.mathworks.com/help/toolbox/commblks/ref/usrp2receiver.html

I've been making do with the old firmware and fpga, but when I saw this link, I
became really excited - especially because it implies I can decrease the
decimation on my USRP2 to 1 - perhaps by requesting real, single precision
values instead of complex doubles.

The minimum sustainable sample rate over the wire is 25Msps for the UHD (unless you change FPGA implementation). I dont know what FPGA code "they" are using. Also, I dont think these simulink blocks have UHD under the hood.

Is there an open source version of that blockset?

Alternatively, despite poking around the UHD API, it wasn't immediately obvious
how I could change the type of data, or set a decimation of 1, from the
uhd::usrp::simple_usrp class. I suspect it may have something to do with the
uhd::io_type_t class, but, again, I'm not too sure.

The device::send and device::recv calls take the IO type as an argument. The samples are converted between IO type and over-the-wire type in the UHD implementation code.

-Josh

Has anyone had a chance to play around with this blockset, or know how it works?
It looks _really_ neat, and appears to work with wbx boards.

Vincent W