[Discuss-gnuradio] Re: USRP2 FM TX and FM RX working together

From: Patrick Strasser
Subject: [Discuss-gnuradio] Re: USRP2 FM TX and FM RX working together
Date: Fri, 24 Sep 2010 13:12:55 +0200

schrieb Jorge Miguel am 2010-09-22 13:10:
I forgot to mention, but I get a lot of messages like:
.....SSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSS
SSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSaUSSSSSSSSSSSSSSS.....

I did the calculations and with the 104 interpolation USRP sink and 208
decimation USRP source and 16 bits per sample means that less than
100Mbs are taken from the 1Gbps ethernet wire. So there souldn't be any
overload.

Connection capacity is not the problem, but consuming the data.
GNU Radio has no intrinsic concept of sample rate. It processes data in pipes as far as possible and blocks when sources do not provide data or sinks do not consume data. The blocks are connected by buffers that are not infinite in size. If your input rate (Ethernet) does not match your output rate (Audio), at some point either the buffers are all empty (underrun) or all buffers run full (overrun). This is the point where you get notifications in form of S, aU, aO, etc. It is your task to calculate the data/sampling rates correct and convert rates with resamplers. Maybe you want to have a look at the example FM receiver and compare your rates with the ones used there.

Furthermore I still don't know why is necessary the multiply cont block
in the modulator.

This is your volume/gain knob. In GRC you can connect it to a slider and try different values in real-time. Depending on your sink data type (complex, short) you have different ranges for full scale signals. Generally you would want to scale your signal nearly to the maximum amplitude to use the full precision, especially when working with non-floats.

Patrick Strasser <patrick dot strasser at student dot tugraz dot at>
Student of Telemati_cs_, Techn. University Graz, Austria