Re: [Discuss-gnuradio] using external front ends

From: Marcus D. Leech
Subject: Re: [Discuss-gnuradio] using external front ends
Date: Fri, 01 Oct 2010 12:54:44 -0400

> Hi
>
> I wanted to find out if it is possible to use daughterboards other
> than the basic rx and tx with external front ends. Ie is it possible
> to use the WBX daughterboard with an external front end?
>
> Regards
>
> Stacey

Yes, that would be possible.  Keep in mind that the WBX already has
substantial gain, so you'll
  likely need to attenuate the output of your own front-end to keep the
signal levels in range
  (below -20dbm) for the Rx on the WBX board.

This kind of thing is done all the time in the strictly-analog-radio
world.  So-called transverters
  are used to convert from one frequency domain to another.  In the
amateur radio world it's
  often the case that people operate on the microwave bands by using
their 144MHz-range
  transceiver through a "transverter" to convert to higher frequency
operation on other bands.
  Absolutely no reason you couldn't do the same thing with cards like
the WBX.

--
Principal Investigator
Shirleys Bay Radio Astronomy Consortium