Re: [Discuss-gnuradio] Moon Bounce Experiment

From: Marcus D. Leech
Subject: Re: [Discuss-gnuradio] Moon Bounce Experiment
Date: Wed, 20 Oct 2010 20:58:57 -0400

On 10/20/2010 08:49 PM, Joseph Craig wrote:
> Hi Marcus,
>
> Thanks for the quick reply...
>

> On Oct 20, 2010, at 5:51 PM, Marcus D. Leech wrote:
>

>> On 10/20/2010 07:13 PM, Joseph Craig wrote:
>>
>>> I have managed to install gnuradio and run usrp_fft.py with success!
>>>
>>> Now for the questions...
>>>
>>> 1)  I'm always seeing...  "Exception RuntimeError: 'maximum recursion depth
>>> exceeded while calling a Python object' in <type
>>> 'exception.AttributeError'> ignored ".  What does this mean, and how to fix
>>> it?
>>>

>> In what application are you seeing this error?
>>
> python

I should perhaps have clarified.  Which application, written, obviously,
in Python, was producing this error for you?

>>> 2)  How do I save the I/Q stream to disk?  I'm interested in the maximum
>>> bit resolution for the best dynamic range.  I just want the raw time
>>> samples.
>>>

>> You should investigate gnuradio-companion (GRC), which allows you to put
>> a signal processing
>>  graph together graphically--like LEGO building blocks.  You can very
>> easily put together a
>>  "baseband recorder" application in about 5 minutes this way.
>>
> 5 minutes is pretty enticing seeing how this has to be working friday.  How
> long does it take to setup GRC?  Is there a guide?

If built/installed Gnu Radio, you already have GRC/GnuRadioCompanion:

gnuradio-companion

At the prompt in a terminal window should bring up a GRC instance.

All you should need is a  usrp-source block, and a file-sink block.

The usrp-source block takes parameters like decimation,
center-frequency, gain.

--
Marcus Leech
Principal Investigator