[Discuss-gnuradio] Discrete Lo Frequency Changes in GRC

From: Justin Bracken
Subject: [Discuss-gnuradio] Discrete Lo Frequency Changes in GRC
Date: Tue, 30 Nov 2010 12:17:23 -0500

Hello all,

Another question. I need to have essentially a counter that will control what frequency I transmit out of the USRP2. I need to control the rate at which it changes. Currently I use a ramp function to do this. I see there is a vector source that is also possible solution. Im wondering if there are also other solutions I may not have considered that someone could recommend. If my previous email is accurate I might need to wait something like 2 seconds between counts to do what I want in an automated fashion. This seems difficult to do in a processor efficient manner within GRC being that it is sample based and more of a labview style of coding and not Cish where I could set a sleep timer or some other wait function to delay the count. If I understand things right a possible solution is to decimate a source to achieve this, or just use a lower frequency ramp source. However this still requires a lot of cpu time since the source is still outputing samples at the sample frequency regardless of whether they are being used. And if I need a variable amount of time at each count, or non-equally spaced counts this doesn't provide that.

I have considered going into the python code and doing this modification in there. However I have zero experience with python so it might take me a bit to do that. Just fishing for suggestions, any help offered is appreciated.

Thanks,
Justin