Re: [Discuss-gnuradio] Internal delays (due to clock path, ...) & jitter

From: Marcus D. Leech
Subject: Re: [Discuss-gnuradio] Internal delays (due to clock path, ...) & jitter, between tx e rx path in USRP 1 device
Date: Fri, 29 Jul 2011 10:54:05 -0400

On 29/07/2011 10:35 AM, Mattia Rizzi wrote:
>Normally, the TX path and RX would only be connected through the host computer software--either "roll your own+UHD" or with,
Gnu Radio.

Perphas i’m not well explained. I’m talking about samples that are inside internal buffers of USRP. At time=t0 one sample is acquired and two sample are sent over RF front-end. What i want to know is the temporal disaligment (due to clock path delays, etc) between these two tasks.
Thank you for your response.

The USRP1 uses an AD9862 MxFE CODEC, and the DAC and ADC sections are phase-coherent, via the built-in DLL that takes the
  master clock and produces the sample clocks for RX and TX.

But from the perspective of the FPGA and the host interface, the two halves are totally independent, so any comments on TX vs RX
  latency are utterly meaningless without taking a "systems view".  If the TX vs RX latency is really important to you, on the scale
  of single samples, then you're going to have to do what you want on the FPGA, which means you're going to have to take your
  own measurements, and modify the FPGA to taste.  The FPGA code and FX2 firmware are freely available for you to study and
  modify at will.  There *are* buffers in both directions--the sizes I don't recall off the top of my head, but perhaps Matt could
  comment on that.  My sense is that if you care about RX vs TX latency on the scale of single samples, then the exact sizes of
  those buffers don't really matter, since they're orders-of-magnitude larger than a single sample.