[Discuss-gnuradio] Received Signal Power ?

From: bjoernm
Subject: [Discuss-gnuradio] Received Signal Power ?
Date: Fri, 02 Sep 2011 10:26:56 +0200

Hi,

I'm using the UCLA ZigBee PHY by Thomas Schmid, with the benchmark example from gnuradio.

Now I need the signal power of each received packet (at the receiver). For the signal
power computation:

P_S = sum ( all samples squared ) divided by number of samples

but the problem is where to fetch these samples, and how to make sure, that only samples
of the received packet are considered, and no noise...

1. is there a gnuradio block/function which would already perform this task of received signal power computation, or RSSI determination, which I could use/edit for my task?

2. If not, where would be the best spot to capture the received samples? As the clock_recovery looks to be too late, and capturing the packets earlier makes it hard to distinguish between noise and received signal, as no clock recovery nor packet detection
is performed, yet.

I'd appreciate any help, thanks in advanced!