Re: [Discuss-gnuradio] GNU radio

From: Marcus D. Leech
Subject: Re: [Discuss-gnuradio] GNU radio
Date: Wed, 21 Sep 2011 11:47:35 -0400

On 21/09/2011 11:34 AM, Andrew Rich wrote:
I was just looking at the N200

Do these hardware components have sensitivity figures ?
That depends entirely on the daughterboard you chose. Although most of them have noise figures in the 4-5dB range at maximum gain. If you're just interested in RX in the 1090MHz range, I'd suggest the DBS_RX2. Sensitivity is dominated by noise figure. If you need lower noise figures you'll have to put a band-specific LNA in front, which is what I do for radio astronomy.

I am interested in passive RADAR

I have been using a 1090 MHz receiver and a cheap digital OSCilloscope commaned under LINUX as a capture device.

I guess that is sort of what the hardware and software of an SDR does ?

My system is very slow

In an SDR, nearly-all the processing is done on the host computer, so you need a fastish computer. Overall compute requirements
  are roughly proportional to sample_rate * complexity-per-sample.