Re: [Discuss-gnuradio] GNU radio

From: Nick Foster
Subject: Re: [Discuss-gnuradio] GNU radio
Date: Wed, 21 Sep 2011 11:56:33 -0700

Andrea, Andrew,

You're best off reading the source code: http://www.github.com/bistromath/gr-air-modes/

I also have a set of slides from the Gnuradio conference, but it doesn't go into detail into the decoder itself: http://www.nerdnetworks.org/~bistromath/adsb.pdf

PPM is pretty straightforward to decode. There's a preamble detector (air_modes_preamble.cc), which uses stream tags to mark possible valid Mode S packets, and a slicer (air_modes_slicer.cc) which gets bits out of it. That's all pushed through a message queue into the Python app, which does all the parsing,  position decoding, etc.

Feel free to contact me personally with ADS-B- or gr-air-modes-specific questions, that traffic probably doesn't belong on the list.

--n