Re: [Discuss-gnuradio] reg calculation of BER/SNR using gnuradio UHD

From: Marcus D. Leech
Subject: Re: [Discuss-gnuradio] reg calculation of BER/SNR using gnuradio UHD
Date: Tue, 27 Sep 2011 17:13:34 -0400

On 09/27/2011 05:00 PM, shantharam balasubramanian wrote:

Hi Ben,

Thanks a lot for the reply. One of our colleagues downloaded the gnuradio version 3.1.2 and we are using that version. I don't know if we need to download the latest version of gnuradio (3.4.0) and run that.

Now, the thing is, the benchmark_tx and benchmark_rx programs in gnuradio-examples/python/digital sub-folder work properly. That means, the receiver receives the packets transmitted by the transmitter. However, when we try running the benchmark_rx and benchmark_tx programs of gnuradio-examples/python/digital-bert subfolder, it fails to find usrp.

We give the following command to run the benchmark_rx program of bert subfolder:

./benchmark_rx.py -f 2.412G -r 1M

We have also tried with: ./benchmark_rx.py -f 2.412G -r 1M -w 2 (We are using USRP2)

The program shows the following error message:

usrp: failed to find usrp[0] (If we give -w 2, it says failed to find usrp[2])

Runtime error: can't open usrp

We don't know if we are giving wrong commands because similar commands work well for benchmark programs in the python/digital sub-folder. Your help will be very appreciated.

Thanks,

--
Regards

The examples you are using are designed strictly for a USRP1, using the "classic" interface. You have presumably modified your USRP2 for "UHD", which does not interoperate with programs using the "classic" API.

I believe Tom Rondeau is busy working on updating most of the important examples to use UHD, which will allow, among other things, the ability to use *any* of the USRP hardware, more-or-less seamlessly with most of the examples.

--
Marcus Leech
Principal Investigator