Re: [Discuss-gnuradio] USRP network based spectrum analyzer

From: Marcus D. Leech
Subject: Re: [Discuss-gnuradio] USRP network based spectrum analyzer
Date: Wed, 28 Sep 2011 17:35:26 -0400

On 28/09/2011 4:50 PM, Phelps Williams wrote:
I have a usrp and computer in a remote location without much network bandwidth available to the system and I'm using it as a spectrum analyzer. I'd like to run the fft on the remote system and then send the results to a connected client for display. This would allow me to get greater fidelity than xwindows forwarding or the ascii dft example while also using less bandwidth. I would imagine the client side would potentially reuse some of the existing wx or qt interfaces for display and control.

This seems like a pretty useful / simple use of this hardware. Does anybody know of any implementations floating around that does this? I'd prefer not to reinvent the wheel.

-Phelps

Because I'm such an insanely nice guy, I quickly implemented something like what you'd need. Attached.

It uses a UHD source, computes a (default 2048-point) 10*log10-scaled FFT, then outputs the resulting float-vector to a file-sink at a 5Hz rate.

Everything is pretty-much parameterized on the command line, including:

     frequency         (100M)
     gain                   (20)
     srate                 (1.0e6)
     fifoname          ("fft_output_fifo")
     devicecfg         ("addr=192.168.10.2")
     xmlport            (6060)

I've included the ability to change parameters on-the-fly using the XMLRPC server, which would allow you to, for example, change run-time parameters from some external interface, such as a WEB gui or similar.

If this were my problem, I'd start this thing in a script which creates the fifo file, starts some program that reads the FIFO (left as an exercise for the proverbial reader) in the background, then calls the Gnu Radio program.