Re: [Discuss-gnuradio] USRP for GPS

From: Wolfarth, Ryan
Subject: Re: [Discuss-gnuradio] USRP for GPS
Date: Tue, 4 Oct 2011 09:36:37 -0700

Walter,

Currently the receiver that triggers our USRPs to record the RF data is quite expensive.  We don't use all of its features, but it has a few key parameters that are used in our trigger threshold calculation.  If we deploy this same system to another location we'd like to have a USRP function as the trigger.  In that sense we are interested in using the USRP as a GNSS receiver, but our goal isn't to get a position solution.

As far as performance metrics go, you need to define a few parameters for your receiver before settling on the USRP as a host.  The two that pop into my mind right away are: 1.) which GPS signal(s) do you want to use and 2.) how many channels do you hope to track?  If I recall correctly, there's a thread somewhere on this list where a group used the old USRP1 and modified the FPGA to do 4 channel tracking with fast acquisition.

Regards,
Ryan