Re: [Discuss-gnuradio] New webpage look

From: Marcus D. Leech
Subject: Re: [Discuss-gnuradio] New webpage look
Date: Fri, 14 Oct 2011 12:27:01 -0400

On 14/10/2011 12:22 PM, Tom Rondeau wrote:

Ok, so to protect people from bleeding from any part of their body while viewing the webpage, I have toned the red down a notch. But seriously, if the webpage is causing you physical pain to look at, perhaps the brightness of your monitor is turned up a bit too high.

So the Forces of Brightness won out for me when redoing the color scheme specifically to get away from the drab blue and greens of the Earthtone Coalition. I think the new colors make the site more alive and pop as opposed to what I think was a pretty dull, boring site of blues.

The redish-orange color was taken from the GNU Radio icon that we've added to the top of the page. Originally, I think we had the wrong value for it, which gave that brighter red (#C82F1F), but I replaced the main banner with what GIMP tells me is the real color from the icon, which is #C80000. It calms it down a bit, and I just replaced the link colors with this scheme instead of the brighter scheme.

Using the redish-orange for the banner and blue for the links would clash, I think. I mean, come on, orange and blue? What is this, UVA? (inside joke/rivalry; I went to VA Tech.)

I'm definitely willing to entertain other suggestions for colors if most people are finding this to be a real problem, but I'd really rather not go back to boring old blue like we used to have.

Tom

Something I've learned in over 30 years of doing computer stuff, including UI design. When it comes to UI decisions, including colours, layout, etc, you'll *never*, *ever* make everyone happy. It's not possible. The reason they call "personal taste" personal, is that, well,
  it's personal :-)