Re: [Discuss-gnuradio] Ben's docstring work

From: Josh Blum
Subject: Re: [Discuss-gnuradio] Ben's docstring work
Date: Sat, 15 Oct 2011 00:28:11 -0700

> Here's the information that I put into a README.doxyxml file for the
> instructions to produce the docstrings:

> The process of updating and exporting the Doxygen document strings
> into Python consists of a few steps.
>
> 1. Make sure the 'docs' component will be built, which requires
> Doxygen.
>
> 2. Build the project like normal, which will run Doxygen and store the
>    XML files into $(top_builddir).
>
> 3. In $(top_srcdir)/docs/doxygen, run the command:
>
>    $ python swig_doc.py \
>          $(top_builddir)/docstrings/docs/doxygen/xml \
>          $(top_srcdir)/gnuradio-core/src/lib/swig/swig_doc.i
>
>    This uses the XML output of Doxygen to to rebuild a SWIG file that
>    contains all of the current Doxygen markups.
>
> 4. Rebuild the GNU Radio libraries. Since gnuradio.i is included in
>    all of the GNU Radio components, and gnuradio.i includes
>    swig_doc.i, when the libraries are rebuilt, they will now include
>    the documentation strings in Python.
>
> 5. Install GNU Radio. Now, when you run help() in Python on a GNU
>    Radio block, you will get the full documentation.

OK, so I ran swig_doc.py on gr-digital and got this swig_doc.i:
http://pastebin.com/4HdhHC61 And the docstrings are clearly in there. I
then added %include "swig_doc.i" to digital_swig.i. So now the module
should be generated w/ the docstrings.

So, how can I verify that this worked? I tried something like this:
python -c "from gnuradio import digital; print
help(digital.kurtotic_equalizer_cc)"
Basically, where do the docstrings actually go in the module?

Heres my work that does the build rules for swig docs in gr-digital:
http://gnuradio.org/cgit/jblum.git/log/?h=swig_docs

-Josh