Re: [Discuss-gnuradio] Ben's docstring work

From: Ben Reynwar
Subject: Re: [Discuss-gnuradio] Ben's docstring work
Date: Sat, 15 Oct 2011 22:58:55 -0700

On Sat, Oct 15, 2011 at 4:16 PM, Josh Blum <address@hidden> wrote:

>> Hi Josh,
>>
>> The docstrings should be accessible using the __doc__ property in the
>> normal way.
>>
>> If you look at the generated python file the docstrings should be
>> present in the function and class definitions as usual.
>> e.g.
>> def kurtolic_equalizer_cc(blah blah):
>>     "docstring here"
>>     blah blah blah
>>
>> If that's not happening, then it's not working.
>>

> Looks like i did it wrong then. But I cant see anything wrong with the
> process. :-)
>
> python -c "from gnuradio import digital; print
> digital.kurtotic_equalizer_cc.__doc__"
>
> kurtotic_equalizer_cc(int num_taps, float mu) ->
> digital_kurtotic_equalizer_cc_sptr
>
>> I cloned your repo and checked out your swig_docs branch but got a
>> compilation error.
>>
>> [ 46%] Generating gengen/gr_peak_detector_fb.i,
>> gengen/gr_peak_detector_ib.i, gengen/gr_peak_detector_sb.i
>> [ 51%] Built target gengen_generated
>> [ 51%] Swig source
>> [ 52%] Swig source
>> /home/ben/gnuradio-jblum/jblum/gnuradio-core/src/lib/gengen/gengen.i:33:
>> Error: Unable to find 'gengen_generated.i'
>> make[2]: *** [gnuradio-core/src/lib/swig/gnuradio_core_gengenPYTHON_wrap.cxx]
>> Error 1
>> make[1]: ***
>> [gnuradio-core/src/lib/swig/CMakeFiles/_gnuradio_core_filter.dir/all]
>> Error 2
>> make: *** [all] Error 2
>>

> Ah, yea, I fixed that this morning but forgot to push. Just re-checkout
> the repo.
>
> -Josh

So, it's a bug in swig_doc.py, but I haven't worked out where yet..
It should be generating a docstring for "kurtotic_equalizer_cc", but
it is generating it for "digital_make_kurtotic_equalizer_cc" instead.
There's some stuff in swig_doc.py that determines whether a class or
function is part of a "Block" or just a normal class or function.
That appears to be not working.  I'll see if I can work out why not.