Re: [Discuss-gnuradio] underrun occurs when frequency changing

From: Marcus D. Leech
Subject: Re: [Discuss-gnuradio] underrun occurs when frequency changing
Date: Mon, 12 Dec 2011 16:20:09 -0500

On 12/12/2011 01:41 PM, Yan Nie wrote:
Really appreciate any of your suggestion!

Underrun is caused by your flow-graph not being able to provide samples to the
hardware at the specified rate.  It looks to me like in
   your flow-graph above, your message-queue can easily get starved for new
bits, and so the entire flow-graph stalls.  But that's just
   after a superficial inspection.  Since you actually *go to sleep* for an
entire second, it seems like it would be pretty easy for the flow-graph
   to stall.
Thank you so much for your reply. I am wondering what the reason causes my message-queue could easily get starved for new bits? How to avoid this problem with my message-queue? Is the problem of the wrong setting about the msg_limit for the message-queue? I do not understand how to set the limit for msgq. What it depends on?

I tried to make the  bits loading thread "sleep" for only 0.005s, though still
the underrun occurs. What is the reason of that?

Thanks you so much for any of your suggestions.

Thanks,
Yan

You need to look at the flow of bits into your flow-graph, and make sure that flow can keep up with the sample-rate demanded by the rest of the flow-graph, right up to whatever you've programmed the hardware to do.

--
Marcus Leech
Principal Investigator