Re: [Discuss-gnuradio] Profile gr python code using Oprofile and Kcacheg

From: Tom Rondeau
Subject: Re: [Discuss-gnuradio] Profile gr python code using Oprofile and Kcachegrind
Date: Sat, 1 Sep 2012 11:09:46 -0400

On Thu, Aug 30, 2012 at 2:24 AM, Qing Yang <address@hidden> wrote:
> Hi Tom,
>
> Thanks for your suggestion, my Kcachegrind works well now.
>
> But this method (explicitly call through python interpreter) doesn't work
> for Oprofile, I still can't find the session name "dial_tone" in the
> profiled data. BTW, if Kcachegrind works well with python application, why
> do you guys recommend Oprofile?
>
> Sincerely,
> --
> Yang, Qing
> Information Engineering, CUHK

We recommended Oprofile from a longer history of using it, and that's
it. I've actually switched over to using valgrind for all of my
analysis and profiling work. In many ways, I still prefer Oprofile
because it works within the Linux kernel, but recent updates to Ubuntu
have made it much more difficult to install and use Oprofile, and I
can't be bothered any more to worry about stuff like that. So valgrind
with callgrind works great and it's now my tool of choice.

But we should probably update the wiki to include information about
using callgrind wit Kcachegrind.

Tom