Re: [Discuss-gnuradio] Profile gr python code using Oprofile and Kcacheg

From: Marcus D. Leech
Subject: Re: [Discuss-gnuradio] Profile gr python code using Oprofile and Kcachegrind
Date: Sat, 01 Sep 2012 11:43:51 -0400

On Thu, Aug 30, 2012 at 6:17 AM, Qing Yang<address@hidden>  wrote:
Hi Tom,

Kcachegrind can only show the cost of C++ functions, can we get the cost of
python functions or python modules? Because it is more interesting to look
at the cost of each gr modules in the python code level.

Sincerely,
--
Yang, Qing
Information Engineering, CUHK

I've never worried about profiling Python code since any performance
critical stuff I've wanted to do, I do it in C++. Python is just for
interfacing and interacting with the GNU Radio flowgraph and blocks,
and that shouldn't need profiling.

To recast things in telecom/networking terms, I like to think of the Python layer as the control plane, and the C++ layer as the
  data plane.

There are still people out there who think that Python was a horrible choice for Gnu Radio, because they think we're pushing significant data through the Python layer. The hier2 blocks that are written in Python add to this confusion, since at casual glance, it looks like we're pushing data through Python with these, and of course, we're not. The hier2 blocks just "encapsulate" a bunch of C++ blocks to make a composite block, but again, Python just plays the role of "control/constructor" plane in these scenarios.

I was on the RTLSDR chat group yesterday when I pointed out that all the fundamental blocks in Gnu Radio are written in C++, and I got a "well, yeah, except for all those fancy demodulator/modulator blocks". So the misunderstanding is persistent.

--
Marcus Leech
Principal Investigator