[Discuss-gnuradio] UHD replacement for write_fpga_reg

From: Colin Stagner
Subject: [Discuss-gnuradio] UHD replacement for write_fpga_reg
Date: Thu, 13 Sep 2012 00:17:59 -0500

Greetings all,

I am trying to update some legacy (gnuradio 3.2 with libusrp) python
code to run on the latest git release (master, Mon Sep 10 08:42:14 2012
-0700). I am using a custom FPGA image for the USRP1. The FPGA image
implements additional functionality that is controlled via the FPGA user
registers, such as usrp.FR_USER_0. Previously, I could access these
registers in Python with the

u._write_fpga_reg(address, value)

function, where u is an instantiated libusrp sink, but I can't find an
equivalent function for USRP-UHD. The closest I can find is
usrp.set_user_register(address, value), but this generates an exception:

RuntimeError: LookupError: Path not found in tree: /mboards/0/user/regs

Is there a new Python function for writing to FPGA registers? I've seen
references to peek32 and poke32, but I haven't found if/where they are
exposed in Python. Do I need to do something to make USRP-UHD aware of
my custom registers? Does the FPGA image itself need to be changed for
UHD compatibility?

Thanks,

Colin Stagner
Missouri S&T