Re: [Discuss-gnuradio] control of noutput_items by the user

From: Zing Yu
Subject: Re: [Discuss-gnuradio] control of noutput_items by the user
Date: Mon, 3 Dec 2012 11:21:29 -0800 (PST)

Hi Tom,

What you have suggested is absolutely fine but it does not solve my problem. Actually, my custom block sends a burst of N samples whenever a condition in its code is met. Since that conditon is met pretty much regularly, I can say that the custom block sends a burst after every ~30 mS. Now, whenever noutput_items=2N are assigned to work() of my custom block, I observe that particular (to be transmitted) burst somehow does not get sent asap, rather it is sent after ~200mS. I have verified this by two ways:
i) I receive the transmitted bursts at another node and measure the delay between successive bursts.
ii) On the other hand, I time each bursts by means of tx_time_tag. Then, I do see that whenever noutput_items=2N, I see "L" printed in the console (which means packet is late and is discarded by the FPGA).

So, in summary, I would like to send my bursts asap no matter what value noutput_items takes. Or, I want the scheduler to assign me exactly noutput_items=N items everytime. What do you suggest?

Thanks,
Yu.

p.s.

Alex,

Could you explain a bit more how to accomplish what you have said? Thanks.