Re: [Discuss-gnuradio] Direct Sequence Spread Spectrum Question.

From: Gerald Baier
Subject: Re: [Discuss-gnuradio] Direct Sequence Spread Spectrum Question.
Date: Mon, 3 Dec 2012 21:10:27 +0100

On 03.12.2012 02:58, Ahmed Zaheer wrote:
I am multiplying my file source with GLFSR source and then giving the product to modulation blocks in transmitting flowgraph. In the receiving flowgraph after demodulating the signal I am passing the demodulated signal through PN Correlator block having same values of degree, mask and seed parameters and then save the file into sink source. I am not able to receive the same data(it only works when I use degree=1, mask and seed =0 for both GLFSR and PN Correlator i.e. making GLFSR a constant source of magnitude 1).
You have to make sure that the chip-rate of your PN sequence is higher than the symbol-rate of your modulation block. Try setting the sample per symbol option of the modulation block to the length of the PN sequence. This way the period of the PN sequence is equal to one symbol duration.
Do I have to use the PN Correlator block in some other manner? Or I should use some other blocks after PN Correlator block to retrieve the original data?
I think your next problem are the following lines in the PN correlator, where d_pn is the current chip of the PN sequence and d_len the sequence's period:

 67   for (int i = 0; i < noutput_items; i++) {
 68     sum = 0.0;
 69
 70     for (int j = 0; j < d_len; j++) {
71 if (j != 0) // retard PN generator one sample per period
 72         d_pn = 2.0*d_reference->next_bit()-1.0; // no conditionals
 73       sum += *in++ * d_pn;
 74     }
 75
 76     *out++ = sum*gr_complex(1.0/d_len, 0.0);
 77   }

Basically after one complete period (line 70), the correlator keeps the old state of the PN generator's shift register, hereby retarding/changing the phase of the PN sequence (line 71). What you want do to, is to always correlate with the same phase, so removing line 71 should do the trick.

Keep in mind that the PN correlator is a decimator block, so for N samples, with N being the length of the PN sequence, it only outputs one sample. Therefore you can't demodulate with the same samples per symbol option as in the modulator.

I hope that helps,

Gerald