Re: [Discuss-gnuradio] How do I capture of the time of USRP N210 samples

From: LD Zhang
Subject: Re: [Discuss-gnuradio] How do I capture of the time of USRP N210 samples with host computer system time?
Date: Fri, 4 Jan 2013 13:15:21 -0800

Hi Josh,

Thanks for replying. I have some thoughts on using the "set_start_time".
Please see my comments and questions  below:

There is a set_start_time() call. setting this will effect what time the
streaming begins when the flow graph starts

Once the set_time_now command is performed. I consider the USRP have the
same (or approximately the same) time as the host computer, correct?

The set_start_time() call looks nice, but it requires a time passed to it. I
currently don't know how to dynamically call the set_start_time() command
with a variable of system time in hour:min:sec.microsecond format. I found a
discussion a while ago on some problems with the set_start_time. Someone was
complaining that the time-out window in the cpp code is too short so a
future scheduled time did not work.

Thinking about what I need to achieve, the set_start_time command is
certainly good to make to work. But maybe I have an easier task here. Since
the time is already sync'd, and presuming that I can get the time tag of the
first sample, it is OK if the start time is off a bit(as long as it doesn't
jump around by more than 0.1 seconds each time I perform the same function),
all I need is to know the time of the start sample referenced to the host
system time. So I say all I need right now is to get the time tag of the
beginning sample and that would suffice, just to make it easier.

Also, as an alternative, there is access to the issue_stream_cmd(). You can
leave the flow graph running and issue commands to turn streaming on and
off, schedule bursts, etc...

I will try to make the previous approach to work before I mess with this
one.

LD