Re: [Discuss-gnuradio] nVidia's Tegra 4 has SDR - the i500 LTE soft mode

From: Albert Chun-Chieh Huang
Subject: Re: [Discuss-gnuradio] nVidia's Tegra 4 has SDR - the i500 LTE soft modem from Icera
Date: Wed, 09 Jan 2013 01:38:59 +0800

According to this web page:
http://www.fudzilla.com/home/item/30024-icera-i500-is-programmable-lte

And the features of Icera's previous platforms:
http://www.nvidia.com/object/nvidia-icera-products.html

On the photo from CES, Icera i500 platform has 8 processors on it, each
one contains its own memory. From Icera's product feature page, each
platform contains one baseband chip and one RF IC. I think the photo
depicted on CES is the baseband chip only. So this SDR platform contains
8 processors, probably specialized digital signal processors that have
their own unique instruction set. Icera does not provide any
hardware/software development tool, e.g. compiler, assembler, or
emulator. So the instruction set is not open. They provide whole
baseband chip with physical/protocol layer in software, encrypted I
guess. From normal user's point of view, it will be hard to hack.

I know this because I am also from communication IC industry, even we
have flexible processors or coprocessors, we'll make it hard to hack. :p
But I won't say it's impossible, it just takes a lot of time. With those
hacking time, I'd rather spend time to build a scalable computer farm
that can do distributed SDR. I think the next move of GNU Radio is
toward this by introducing ICE?

Best Regards,

Albert Huang