Re: [Discuss-gnuradio] Channel Response in OFDM with MIMO USRP

From: Paul Fuxjaeger
Subject: Re: [Discuss-gnuradio] Channel Response in OFDM with MIMO USRP
Date: Sun, 13 Jan 2013 22:30:14 +0100

On 13.01.13 22:00, Jack M wrote:
Well, I'm running the regular OFDM rx-chain which includes preamble
detection->sampler->fft->so on. On the transmitter, each frame
(preamble[1 OFDM symbol] + data[multiple OFDM symbols]) acts as a burst
which includes the required timestamps and the burst tags.

Nice, I'd be interested in how your chain looks like in GNURadio. I'm in the middle of building a good 802.11n RX chain, but it's only offline so far, a simple looped sequential recipe in matlab that needs synced baseband blocks as input and tries to decode all frames it finds in it.

I was just somehow hoping to get a flat channel for some analysis which
otherwise is a pain, since I have to do it without channel equalization.
This phase change results in symbols rotating in the I/Q domain. :)

Your channel is super flat and good-natured. But I don't think that there is a way to avoid post-fft multiplication with a complex vector that has the appropriate linear phase progression over subcarriers. I guess one could call it manual fine-timing compensation, or some sort of "static channel phase equalization" ;)

-paul