Re: [Discuss-gnuradio] Raspberry Pi Activity?

From: Marcus D. Leech
Subject: Re: [Discuss-gnuradio] Raspberry Pi Activity?
Date: Thu, 17 Jan 2013 15:00:06 -0500

Marcus, Phillip, Thomas, Aylons, & Iain,

  Thanks for all the good ARM info.  Obviously ARM is not
my area of expertise.

  As for the R-Pi, yes its a toy.  I'm just casting about
for interesting things to do with it, and wondered if it,
combined with a B100 or a USRP1, might make up a low-power/
low-cost transceiver with just enough capability to make it
suitable for a small spacecraft.

 Hopefully, someone with time on their hands will feel challenged
enough to try and reverse-engineer the GPU driver code to the
point where it can be incorporated into volk.

  Meanwhile, it sounds like the Beagle Bone would be a better choice.

I wonder if, like on x86-type systems, the GPU interface is high enough latency that its tremendous throughput is tempered quite significantly by
  the high latency and "setup" costs.

There's good reasons that there haven't been any really spectacularly-successful integrations of GPUs into GR flows -- it doesn't actually work
  that well from a performance perspective.

--
Marcus Leech
Principal Investigator