Re: [Discuss-gnuradio] Usage of Message Queues

From: Martin Lülf
Subject: Re: [Discuss-gnuradio] Usage of Message Queues
Date: Thu, 7 Feb 2013 09:24:09 +0100

> Im sorry that im pushing my question, but its still unsolved for me and
> need
> it for my project..
>
> So again, my message queue is filling, i checked that via
> tb.sink_queue.count(), but if i want to transfer pop a message, it just
> returns me that message_sptr thing. Can someone help me on that? I cant
> find
> a proper manual how to use the message queues/sinks.
>
> Again, thanks in advance for any hints :).
>

> --

Hi,

I don't know much about messages and it's queues from the python side, but
maybe a hint to the C++ side will help you to continue.

It appears that the object you get back is a wrapped shared pointer. So
basically a pointer to a gr_message which's C++ interface is documented
here: http://gnuradio.org/doc/doxygen/classgr__message.html
In C++ you can use the shared pointer like a usual pointer to that class
so I guess that's the same in gnuradio. Just try if you can get the length
of the message with returned_var.length()
Usually with the msg() member you return an unsigned char pointer to the
actual data of the message. My best guess would be that this is wrapped to
a list of numpy's uint8 values.

I hope that makes it possible for you to continue. Another possible source
might be the QA code for gr_msg_source and gr_msg_sink (if there is any)
which should deal with messages in python.

Yours
Martin