Re: [Discuss-gnuradio] Error messages when running gr_filter_design for

From: Tom Rondeau
Subject: Re: [Discuss-gnuradio] Error messages when running gr_filter_design for gnuradio 4.7 on MacPorts
Date: Tue, 12 Feb 2013 14:47:08 -0500

On Mon, Feb 11, 2013 at 9:31 AM, Michael Dickens <address@hidden> wrote:
On Feb 4, 2013, at 11:37 AM, Tom Rondeau <address@hidden> wrote:
> On the other hand, PyQwt5 works in all cases I've tested against Qwt6. Qwt6, though, is much nicer and has some significant performance benefits. So if possible, use Qwt6 with PyQwt5.

Hi Tom - I'm wondering if you can clarify what you've written.

Last night I checked into MacPorts a big overhaul of the Qwt series, so we have qwt (5.1), qwt52 (5.2.3), qwt60 (replaces qwt-60; 6.0.2), and qwt-devel (6.1.rc3).

This morning I tried compiling PyQwt (5.2.0) using qwt52 and qwt60; the former works just fine but the latter fails because the API has changed (e.g., removal of qwt_array).

I tried installing "py27-pyqwt +qwt60" but that failed (again due to the API changes).  So while I -could- install "py27-pyqwt +qwt52" then force install qwt60 (over qwt52), the PyQwt python library will not be loadable because it's is linked to "libqwt.5.dylib" and not "libqwt.dylib".  I could hack the library requirement to be just "libqwt.dylib", but that seems a bit "extreme" and unwise for general use (e.g., in MacPorts).

Maybe I'm missing something?  Thanks for explaining. - MLD

Most people should be fine sticking with Qwt 5.2. I noticed the performance problem with the new time raster plots that I introduced to the 'next' branch last week. Using Qwt 5.2, it is pretty much unusable while with Qwt 6, everything works fine. Profiling the code showed a couple of specific library calls that were taking all of the heat under Qwt 5.2. So this is an internal thing (unless I've completely screwed something up) that they fixed in the new version.

On the other hand, it seems like the APIs are largely compatible from PyQwt's standpoint. There are some notable changes between the two versions, but I haven't run into this as a problem using PyQwt5 with Qwt6.

Can you send me the line where you received the error for the API problem you mentioned above? I just recently compiled using both Qwt5 and Qwt6 to test if both versions were handled properly, and everything looked good on my end. But there's always a chance something slipped by. We can fix those problems, though.

Tom