Re: [Discuss-gnuradio] build error with "next" branch

From: Tom Rondeau
Subject: Re: [Discuss-gnuradio] build error with "next" branch
Date: Thu, 21 Feb 2013 08:44:46 -0500

On Wed, Feb 20, 2013 at 11:33 PM, Ralph A. Schmid, dk5ras <address@hidden> wrote:

Well, this is exactly what everyone recommends _not_ to do, they tell, go with the latest sources.

Ralph.

That's very outdated advice, though understandable. For a long time, the latest version you could get was 3.2. We now have 3.6.1 available through apt-get on Ubuntu. This is quite new enough for most people. We're lucky now to have Maitland working closely with us and Debian to make up-to-date versions available.

As Martin said, there's always a desire to have the latest and greatest, and we are moving quite fast with bug fixes and new features. But those new features also come with their own bugs and issues.

What I'd really like to see happen is that the majority of our users go with the distributed versions, including the ones available through your package manager. Only those who are developers or if someone identifies a particular need, feature, bug fix, etc. in the newer code would move to getting GNU Radio through our git repos.

Tom