Re: [Discuss-gnuradio] Toggle use of bad versions of Boost

From: Tom Rondeau
Subject: Re: [Discuss-gnuradio] Toggle use of bad versions of Boost
Date: Tue, 26 Feb 2013 09:54:13 -0500

On Tue, Feb 26, 2013 at 9:38 AM, Ralph A. Schmid, dk5ras
<address@hidden> wrote:
> Hi,
>
>> You can see which Boost version Cmake is finding for you by looking at
>> CMakeCache.txt in the top of the build directory. Check out the
>> "Boost_<library>_LIBRARY" and "Boost_INCLUDE_DIR" to see which ones
>> were found and are being used. Hopefully, it's finding the 1.48 version
> that's
>> installed.
>
> It seems some older gnuradio versions and other SDR tools do not want the
> 1.48, they want a 1.46 or maybe a boost lib without any version in its name,
> who knows. I got into problems when compiling gnuradio 3.4.2 for OpenBTS,
> but lacking the knowledge how to solve this in a proper way I just fiddled
> around with uninstalling and installing several parts of the packages until
> it compiled. Not satisfying, such a workaround...
>
>> Tom
>
> Ralph.

Two things with this. First, the checking and rejecting of bad Boost
versions is new since we just started to understand the issue. So
older versions do not have this protection.

Second, GNU Radio doesn't /prefer/ a version of Boost; it'll likely
just picks the first one it finds that is valid. With 3.4.2, the only
non-valid Boost versions would be those before the minimum version of
1.35. Most likely, it'll take whichever the sym link to
libboost_xxx.so it finds. For instance, my machine has:

/usr/lib/libboost_filesystem-mt.so -> libboost_filesystem.so.1.48.0

It'll depend on how to installed, order of install, or OS issues that
would determine this if you have multiple versions installed.

You can always tell cmake (and configure before it) which Boost
libraries and include directories you want to specify. With cmake, you
use -DBoost_LIBRARY_DIRS=..., -DBoost_INCLUDE_DIR=..., and even
library-specific directives (if multiple Boost libs are installed into
the same directory) like
-DBoost_FILESYSTEM_LIBRARY=.../libboost_filesystem-mt.so.

I don't recall how to set these using configure, though.

Tom