Re: [Discuss-gnuradio] Toggle use of bad versions of Boost

From: Tom Rondeau
Subject: Re: [Discuss-gnuradio] Toggle use of bad versions of Boost
Date: Tue, 26 Feb 2013 09:15:44 -0500

On Tue, Feb 26, 2013 at 7:01 AM, Alexandru Csete <address@hidden> wrote:
> On Wed, Feb 13, 2013 at 8:12 PM, Tom Rondeau <address@hidden> wrote:
>> GNU Radio: now allowing you to shoot yourself in the foot!
>>
>> We've identified a few versions of Boost that don't work well with GNU
>> Radio, 1.46, 1.47, and 1.52. A little while ago, I updated our cmake build
>> files to look for these specific versions and disable their use if found.
>>
>> Sadly, many distros currently ship with one of these known bad versions.
>> Looking at Boost's website, 1.47 and 1.52 are by far the most downloaded
>> Boost versions. So, as recommended by Johnathan, I put in a cmake command
>> line option that allows you to override the version check so GNU Radio will
>> build with any current Boost.
>>
>> To use it, just specify "-DENABLE_BAD_BOOST=True" on your cmake command
>> line. By default this is False. That will allow you to build against
>> anything. If this value is False, all GNU Radio components will be disabled
>> if it finds one of the bad versions. (VOLK and a couple of others will still
>> pass and compile since they are not affected by the problem).
>>
>> Just be aware that using one of these versions can cause problems.
>> Specifically, it can lock up your application when shutting down a
>> flowgraph. Also, many distros that ship with one of these bad versions also
>> have other, good, versions that you can pretty easily switch to.
>>

> Hi,
>
> Sorry for the late reply, but I just realized that half of my
> computers running Mint 13 (based on Ubuntu 12.04) come with Boost
> 1.46, yet I have had no problem building gnuradio without using
> "-DENABLE_BAD_BOOST=True"
> Admittedly, this distro appears to have a horrible mix of 1.46 and
> 1.48, which may confuse cmake - I really have no idea which one really
> is installed but I do have runtime issues on these computers. If
> anybody has ideas for what we can do on Mint 13 / Ubuntu 12.04, please
> let me know.
>
> Alex

Alex,

You can see which Boost version Cmake is finding for you by looking at
CMakeCache.txt in the top of the build directory. Check out the
"Boost_<library>_LIBRARY" and "Boost_INCLUDE_DIR" to see which ones
were found and are being used. Hopefully, it's finding the 1.48
version that's installed.

Tom