Re: [Discuss-gnuradio] Bins smaller than pixels. was: WX GUI FFT Sink Pe

From: Mark McCarron
Subject: Re: [Discuss-gnuradio] Bins smaller than pixels. was: WX GUI FFT Sink Performance
Date: Tue, 28 May 2013 18:54:28 +0100

I think the best approach is just to include every possible method in GNURadio.  This can only make the platform more versatile.  I make use of overlapping a lot because computation times are a pain.  The trade-off in resolution is acceptable to me because it has limits that I can work around.  This allows me to work with weak signals that would otherwise go unnoticed without some heavy computation.  I typically work at resolutions of over 1 million to examine narrow-band signals.

The other method is to have a system setup to record the spectrum to a file, then allow another computer to do the FFT at different resolutions.  SETI do the same thing with the BOINC platform, only on a far greater scale.

Regards,

Mark McCarron