Re: [Discuss-gnuradio] Status of GNU Radio with OSX 10.9

From: Michael Dickens
Subject: Re: [Discuss-gnuradio] Status of GNU Radio with OSX 10.9
Date: Tue, 5 Nov 2013 15:05:41 -0500

On Nov 5, 2013, at 8:41 AM, Michael Dickens <address@hidden> wrote:
> I'm not sure how to do that yet; I'll experiment & post back once I've
> figured it out.

I'm pretty sure we can use the legacy libstdc++ provided by Apple, but it
requires that "port" be either from the SVN trunk (as of a few days ago) or
that you wait for the next release (probably 2.3), which I'm not sure when that
will be.

Once you have "port" from the SVN trunk installed, you then do:
{{{
sudo port -f uninstall installed
sudo port clean all
sudo port install gnuradio +gcc48 +atlas configure.cxx_stdlib=libstdc++
}}}
and, then go off and wait for a day.  Feel free to substitute other variants
you want everything to have, or some other +gcc4X instead of what I put there.
I do recommend +atlas, since Apple's Accelerate framework, at least up through
10.8, has bugs in it here and Apple is both slow to fix and push out fixes;
atlas has regular updates and bug fixes, and generally works much better than
Accelerate.

The "down side" to doing this method is that, from now on, you'll need to add
configure.cxx_stdlib=libstdc++ to any port install command.  There's probably a
way to set this variable in a configuration file, but it is so new I'm not sure
it's there yet.

Thus, as I wrote before, my high level advice is to not update to 10.9 yet if
you truly need GNU Radio.  We will continue to work on these bugs and fix them,
but it will take some time, likely months, to track down enough to make GNU
Radio and 10.9 play nicely together using libc++. - MLD