Re: [Discuss-gnuradio] Resolution of USRP N210 and N200

From: Ben Hilburn
Subject: Re: [Discuss-gnuradio] Resolution of USRP N210 and N200
Date: Tue, 5 Nov 2013 16:12:59 -0800

Hi Ting -

Sorry, there really wasn't a good reason for me to not answer your question, regardless =)

So the ADCs are indeed 14 bits, but those samples go through a lot of processing on a number of different platforms, and get sent over a few different buses. At any of these stages, depending on your system parameters, there might be conversions and scaling factors applied to the data, which changes the representation. Remember that since the ADC is a 14-bit ADC, you are never really getting more precision than those 14-bits; they are just different ways of representing that data.

Does that help, at all?

Cheers,
Ben