Re: [Discuss-gnuradio] HELP! - Problem with radio application deploy

From: Paul B. Huter
Subject: Re: [Discuss-gnuradio] HELP! - Problem with radio application deploy
Date: Tue, 19 Nov 2013 18:44:06 -0600

How do you determine the size of taps? How much of a difference does setting the transition width from 1MHz to 10MHz make?

On Tue, Nov 19, 2013 at 6:40 PM, Marcus D. Leech <address@hidden> wrote:
I really appreciate the detailed explanation. I tried running gr_filter_design last night and it asked me to install SciPy, which I did not feel like doing at that time. I will try using 1MHz for my band, which may help get rid of the real-time running issue.

Again, I appreciate your help with this matter.
Let's say you get a filter that's, oh, I dunno, 100 taps long.   That filter has to process every sample, so, that's 5e7 X 100 taps, or
  roughly 5e9 FLOP/second.  Just for that one filter.  And your flow-graph is likely doing other things *and* it's having to get samples
  all the way through your network or USB stacks into the application layer as well, call that 100 instructions/sample.  So, that's
  5e7 x 100 = 5e9 OPS/second just to get your samples into the application.  You're going to burn-up the cycles on your CPU pretty
  quickly at 50Msps, even for doing "trivial" things.

--
Marcus Leech
Principal Investigator