[Discuss-gnuradio] Failed Install + gr-osmosdr Troubles

From: Jacob Dickinson
Subject: [Discuss-gnuradio] Failed Install + gr-osmosdr Troubles
Date: Sat, 7 Dec 2013 20:39:57 -0800

Hi all,

I hope this is the right place for this question! I looked through the
archive but didn't see similar. I've been using gnuradio for awhile
but recently decided to upgrade Ubuntu to 13.10 (64-bit) and GNU Radio
to 3.7. I had two problems along the way which are both unresolved:

I first installed GNU Radio 3.7.2.1 from the binary package
(gnuradio_3.7.2.1_Ubuntu-13.10-x86_64.deb). However, when I started
gnuradio-companion, it crashed after a few seconds of processing with
a seg fault.

I then uninstalled 3.7.2.1 and installed 3.7.1.1 from the binary
package (gnuradio_3.7.1.1_Ubuntu-13.10-x86_64.deb). Now gnuradio
itself works, but when I installed the gr-osmosdr package following
instructions on the osmocom website, there was no trace of any of the
blocks in gnuradio-companion.

When trying to import osmosdr directly in a python interpreter: the
first time I issue the import statement, I get "ImportError:
/usr/lib/libgnuradio-blocks-3.7.1.1.so.0.0.0: undefined symbol:
volk_64u_byteswap_u". As far as I can tell, libvolk is installed on my
machine. The second time I issue the import, the python interpreter
crashes with a seg fault.

I'm not too concerned about the crashing in 3.7.2.1 unless it's easily
solvable or related to the second issue. The main thing I'm concerned
about is getting gr-osmosdr working. Any guidance on troubleshooting
this? I'm not familiar enough with gnuradio yet to know where to look.

Thanks!

Jacob